Thursday, January 02, 2014

New Year, Same You!

What is it about us that makes us love a clean slate? I'm definitely one of those people.  I love looking outside and seeing a sheet of white snow in its pristine state. It doesn't last long, because I have small children that leave behind a trail that looks like something a drunk buffalo would make.  But, I enjoy it while it lasts.

Nothing makes me sigh in complete contentment like a freshly scrubbed bathroom, mopped kitchen floor, or washed kitchen table.

You know the feeling: sleeping on freshly laundered sheets, rolling around a freshly cut lawn, marvelling at how much better your walls look with a fresh coat of paint.

We love what is... unspoiled.

I think that's why New Year's Eve holds such a feeling of excitement, anticipation, and in a way, sanctity.

We make lists of things we want to change in the new year.  I know I made one.

We look with hope at this year, standing before us wholly unspoiled.

For some reason, a lot of us look at this as our one chance for change.  If we miss it, we have to wait an entire year before we can try again.

The truth is, the clean slate is always available.

Yep.

That's one reason why I waited until January 2 to begin working on my January goals.  I felt like it was important for me personally to break the stigma of having to begin on the first day of the new year.

See, this year is different.  It's the first year I've ever faced in my 30 years where I am extending grace to myself.

I've always convinced myself that being kind to myself and forgiving myself would cause failure.  Turns out I was completely wrong.

Your clean slate is always available.

God doesn't care what day it is.   He is interested in you. Your wholeness.  Your healing.

His time scale is quite a bit different than ours.

Embrace His mercy.  Let Him really love you.

Let Him show you your clean slate.

Even if it is January 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment